Experience and capabilities
- Practice before regulatory agencies — extensive experience practicing before the New York State Public Service Commission
- Comprehensive experience representing several investor-owned electric and gas utilities, and serving in the role of outside general counsel for a gas and electric utility
- Gas and electric metering overcharges
- Penalties imposed upon utility customers under interruptible gas tariffs
- Representation of companies seeking power supplies and interconnections with electric utilities to purchase and sell electric power
- Representation of those seeking permissions from regulatory bodies
- Extensive experience in electric and gas transmission and distribution
- Licensing, construction, operation and maintenance of generation facilities (including nuclear, fossil steam electric, wind, water, alternative and renewable) and transmission and distribution facilities for gas and electricity
- Nuclear plant regulation, operation, insurance, claims and related matters
- Pole attachment proceedings and contracts
- Participation in regulatory administrative proceedings; served as lead counsel for the investor-owned electric companies in regulatory proceedings
- Deregulation issues
- Successful representation in litigation of an electric utility in cases involving transmission lines including a 345 MW lines, a hydro plant and other facilities
- Utility mergers
- Power plant sales and purchases; auctions of utility facilities
- Securing transfer of interest approvals from the NYPSC for generation plants
- Intervention in regulatory proceedings
Multi-Family Utility Gas Transportation Customer Meter Overcharge: Representation of customer in New York Public Service Commission complaint proceeding concerning excessive charges for gas usage; case settled favorable for the customer after a 5+ year dispute.
Intervention in Utility Rate Cases: Representation of a large trade organization for apartment building owners in the 2016 Con Edison gas and electric rate cases; worked with other intervenors to achieve reduction in rates requested by the utility and the creation of working groups to resolve issues of importance to real estate and other utility customers.
Engineering Consultant for Demand Response Program: Engineer penalized for an alleged shortfall in meeting demand response projections; penalty substantially reduced.
Apartment Building Owner Subjected to Interruptible Gas Penalty: Representation of interruptible temperature-control utility customer subject to large penalty by utility for failure to switch to an alternative fuel upon notice; utility rescinded penalty.
Major Communications Company: Provided advice relative to securing power supply for large data center and negotiated with electric utilities and owner of merchant power plant together with preparing proposed agreements.
Large Condominium Multi-Building Project: Developed a contract for the sale of steam from large steam boilers to adjoining residential buildings and achieved approval of the contract with the New York State Public Service Commission.